April 17, 2008

5 days

I’ve been mute now for almost an entire week, ok 5 days, and it’s amazing to see how people react to this silent creature opposite them. Everyone switches to High-German straight away and starts gesturing like they’ve got ants in their pants. I wonder if they were subconsciously trying to ensure that I understood by emphasizing their body language – as if I couldn’t hear well either.

I went round with my phone, typing in my message to the outer world and getting them to read it. Was quite funny actually.

The doctor yesterday put the fear of God into me by saying that I might want to annul my trip if this goes on... must have seen my shock and determination to disregard his words because in the next breath he was doling out antibiotics and other fantastic remedies designed to make me sing like a bird in two days. Eating ice-cream last night gave me 1 hour of talkative bliss. But that seems to have run out - am so looking forward to when this medicine kicks in!

Am going down to Geneva to return all my stuff, hopefully there won't be much traffic.