September 27, 2005

rote lippen sind zum küssen

Ladies and gentlemen
Please welcome the star act of tonight….
(appropriate drum roll)

Gloss posing as…
a BOMBAY HOOKER!
(appropriate applause)
Enter stage left, smile, smile, turn, smile, seductive glance, exit stage right.

My new job has all sorts of interesting twists and turns to it. Yesterday I was told that a model of our team’s colour tour fell ill and they needed a replacement. Always a willing subject for any sort of relooking, I willingly spent this afternoon at the hairdresser’s salon. I was poked and prodded, tugged this way and that and had to endure three rounds of colour and bleach (2 colour, 1 bleach). But the final result is a beautiful warm brown with cherry red streaks. Apart from the fact that it took the stylist five hours (no exaggeration!) I would say it’s a look well worth recommending!

When all four models were coloured accordingly, we rushed over to the venue. There I met with something I had not bargained for: red makeup! Red eye shadow, red rouge and red lipstick: I looked and felt like a true hooker. And guess who I had to thank for this getup: yours truly, myself! I had come up with the great idea that the models’ make up should reflect their hair colour and as I was sporting cherry red.. well, you can do the math!
Generally speaking I tend to go for the natural look (i.e. no or minimal makeup) – pure laziness on my part – therefore my reflection took some getting used to. But after an hour or so I began to fully appreciate the handiwork and judging from my boyfriend’s reaction I really need to get someone to teach me how to paint my face. Hmm, wonder if a trace of this motivation will still be around tomorrow.

Throughout the show I sat and smiled, being as friendly as possible with one’s fringe obscuring one’s view. It was quite funny; apparently the cherry red tone came out too “warm” on my hair. As it is supposed to have a “cold” effect the stylist explaining my look to the audience came up with a brilliant save: because my skin tone is quite “cold” she used this colour but because my eyes are surprisingly “warm” she did this and that to support the warmth of my eyes. (I was like: eh?! )