August 03, 2004

Malaysia - first impressions

Malaysia, a rich diverse country, where spirits, ghosts and ghouls feature heavily in small talk (everyone tells me at least one ghost story, it's getting quite hard to fall asleep peacefully!), the food is incredible and the air-conditionning freezes the air in your lungs: what a country!
After been picked up at the airport last Saturday, I was driven to the appartment I now share with a German girl who is also interning at the same company (Smartfocus; they deal in Risk Management and Internal Audit). I haven't met her yet, as she went off to Singapore for a few days.
After settling in, I was whisked off to Kutching in Sarawak (on the Island of Borneo) to assist my boss in a conference. After making sure all the participants were there, I took center stage with my heart in my mouth and welcomed these multimilionnaires (one is a prince, no kidding!!!!) to this gathering. I was soooo glad that our studies place a heavy focus on presentations, as I nearly died when I saw these calculating eyes on me. They turned out to be quite nice, but it was so daunting to speak in front of these high profile men (no women).