August 19, 2004

Virus

A dark and mean virus seems to be spreading around KL. My boss, her boss and my two colleagues (one of which is my flat mate), have come down with high fever, chills and sore throat / cough. What a depressing environment to work in! Luckily we had one 2 day conference here in KL where most of the participants were quite jolly and an internal audit is looming on the horizon (help!). Today we went to visit 2 clients for whom we will do the audit in the coming month. The one good thing about poking one’s nose into other people’s business professionally is that I can get a good overview of various jobs. Today for example, we visited a shoe manufacturer, and it was very interesting to see how shoes are made. We went for lunch with another client, all Chinese women who were very friendly, despite the fact that they plied me with food incessantly (I even ate duck as not to offend them, a bird I normally won’t touch, but I drew the line at chicken foot soup!). The food was delicious; absolute first rate.

I had an issue earlier this week when my flat mate and I tried to wash our clothes. It’s been about 3 weeks now since I arrived and buying clothes isn’t always the answer. Especially as it seems to be impossible to buy a normal bra here, each and every one is filled with some kind of silicone pad, water cushion or just plain padding to give the illusion of a larger bust!
So we went to a local laundry and the guy there tried to rip us off! One Ringitt for one bra two ringitt for one tshirt etc!