August 13, 2005

Darkness

To celebrate our 6th year anniversary I decided to test my boyfriend’s trust and lead him into darkness... which meant that I invited him to the Blinde Kuh. This restaurant (“blind cow”) is held in complete darkness (we’re talking pitch black) and staffed by blind waiters. To answer the inevitable question: no, the cooks are not blind and the food is pretty good.

On arrival we were asked to lock away all cell phones, watches, bracelets, jewelry, etc. anything that could or would give off light. The menu of the week was displayed on the wall in the foyer and we were told that we should choose beforehand to be able to place our order inside. After having mentally selected from the menu, we gave the sign that we were ready to enter the restaurant. Our waiter of the evening appeared and along with three other guests we formed a conga line. First he led us to a section which was slightly darker to let our eyes adjust, then, exited and not a little apprehensive, we were led into the pitch black. It was a weird feeling being unable to recognize anything at all, not even a shadow. We were led to our seats and when the waiter brought our order he told us exactly where he had put the drink / dish. I liked the way the waiter took his time to make sure that every guest was comfortable and reassured. At first I was quite alarmed, my heartbeat quickened and my breathing grew shallow. I do sometimes suffer from a slight claustrophobia. But having settled down and gotten used to the darkness, a strange sense of timelessness crept over me. I became very relaxed and still. It was as if a soft blanket was enveloping me, evoking a sense of safety and security. Not even the shrill voices of housewives discussing the sex life of a friend could disturb this lovely feeling. (I must admit, their conversation was at times quite amusing.) It is funny how darkness can make one lose one’s inhibitions. Dinner itself was quite good, but my table manners were completely lacking. I tried to eat with the cutlery, but gave up after deciding that finger food is by far my preferred mode of eating. All senses were sharpened and just touching the warm items was quite thrilling. Every sip I took and every bite I ate tickled my taste buds, making this an unforgettable culinary experience. When it came to dessert, I was just raring for a food fight. But reason triumphed over childishness and I ate my cinnamon ice-cream dutifully, savoring every little bit.
Relying on my hearing in the darkness, I could fully appreciate the beauty of Manuel’s voice. I have always been extremely sensitive about the sound of people’s voices and cannot stand shrillness. But I was glad to get out of the darkness after the meal. That was what made this experience so enjoyable, the knowledge that one’s time in darkness was limited and could be controlled at will. On the whole a highly recommendable experience for all looking for an extraordinary meal!