June 08, 2005

Children

I have just been told that a girl who was in my year has given birth to a girl. Well, congratulations to you proud mama and welcome little Kyra! You’ll soon learn all about this weird society you’ve entered!
But seriously I must say I was mildly shocked when I heard the news. Of course I know that 24 is a perfectly normal age to have children and get married etc. But it is so unthinkable for me now that confronted with the possibility I would be more likely to make for the hills! Besides, although I like children, I do prefer them from a distance (or asleep). I know, the mothering instinct seems to be slightly lacking. But maybe I’ll grow out of this slight wariness of screaming brats, or not. I don’t know.
What made me think was the fact that this girl from my village got pregnant despite being on the pill and never noticed (yes, honestly!) until the day of delivery. She went into hospital convinced she may have appendicitis (hello, does that seem familiar?) and came out with a baby! Just imagine!